October 4 - 10

View previous topic View next topic Go down

October 4 - 10

Post by Admin on Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:59 pm

Re-write the Aesop's Fable "The Tortoise and the Hare" from the perspective of either the Tortoise or the Hare - your choice!
-Kristina F.
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://kotp.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Re: October 4 - 10

Post by Wlonnie on Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:20 pm

Everyone likes believing in what is simple; what makes them feel right. This is what makes it easy to manipulate the thoughts of the crowds, the beliefs of those who wish to be fed belief. In my prime, I was a social outcast. What most don’t realize is that this was the very thing that made me powerful. When I drew attention to myself, people had pity on me and took what I said as gospel. The thing that made me weak was the thing that made me strong, and I played this tool to the best of my abilities. I used my appearance to my advantage, and the whole world bought it.
Perhaps you’ve heard the tale of the Tortoise and the Hare. If you have, then you’re not that different than so many billions of people who have inhabited the earth throughout time and time again. They all took my story and the justice it prevented, even going as far as modelling their lives after my carefully-crafted lie.
I suppose that it’s time for me to introduce myself. I, as you may have discovered by now, am the infamous Tortoise. If it was physically possible for me to bow at this introduction, I would. But alas, putting the matter of my stubby legs aside, I am dying. A tortoise with the powers of speech, intelligence, and longevity is not immortal, and it has been many days since I ran my last race. The matter of my falsehood has been growing sticky and dark in my mind these past few years, and I have decided that it is finally time to set the record straight. I would rather be remembered as the tortoise who told the truth than the tortoise who won the race.
Mainly because I didn’t win the race.
Oh, there was one other detail I mussed up in the public proclamation of my tale. The hare was, in fact, a female. She made it very clear to me during our last meeting that she would like this fact to be set straight. And, as she is now as dear a friend to me as the sky is to the sun, I will honour her wishes. So much has changed since that other time. My eyes have grown leathery, and my shell is uneven and broken. Yet I remember who I was, and I shy away from the public view of who I then claimed to be. I am not Tortoise, the meek and mild one who trudged on forward against all odds and beat the lazy, self-important Hare. Instead, it happened the other way around. I was the self-important one, and Hare was the true winner.
Believe me when I say that I was unjust; unfair. I lost, I lied, I cheated, I manipulated. Nothing feels worse than to come to the terms with the fact that the person you know best is an imperfection; this person being yourself, of course. I take no pride in what I did, but offer apologies instead. Apologies to the Hare, apologies to myself, and, most importantly, apologies to the ones who chose to believe in my story and what it represented. Perhaps the tale itself was a good one, but perhaps it would have been better displayed in a fictitious work rather than a brutal life experience. Tell the world of my story – my story of truth – and hold close to the lesson that burns bright underneath my failures. For, in the end, it is not what I say that will change your mind; it is what you take from my ideas and experiences that will make the difference.
My story is complete. A grand day to you, and to the Hare, for she is the one left to write a new story.
Wlonnie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JustJosh on Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:14 pm

Author’s Note: Sorry that this turned out so dark. It just seemed that as I made it darker it seemed better. Sorry ‘bout that.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                                                      The Tortoise and the Hare

“Jack, what are you doing?!” the frightful tortoise asked. “Stop it!”
“No! Never!” the furious hare shouted, a giant rock in his hands above his head. “I won’t stop! Not after how you humiliated me back then!”
                                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“Well, you crazy tortoise, I’ll see you after the finish line. In a week!” Jack the hare mockingly said.
Bob the tortoise patted Jack on the back like a good sport. “Don’t get cocky kid,” he said with a grin.
Just then, the whistle blew, and Jack raced off down the track. Bob stood there, looking defeated. But he wasn’t. He had a plan.
Bob sneakily wandered off to the woods. The crowd was too busy cheering for Jack to even notice the terrible thing Bob was about to do.
Jack looked behind him, but all he could see was an empty trail. Bob was nowhere to be seen.
“Ha! That crazy critter thought he could actually-“
Suddenly, Jack felt a sharp pain in his back. He shrieked with pain.
“Blasted tortoise!”
And with that, he fell to the ground, unconscious.
The crowd was still shouting and screaming for the hare when Bob came back from the woods. He came back fast, strong. The crowd finally noticed him as he darted down the raceway.
“He faked it! He’s fast!” the crowd shouted.
When Bob made passed Jack, he smirked at his limp body, and kept running. Finally, he reached the finish line, where more fans were. He ripped through the ribbon tied to the two poles and leaped with victory. The crowd showered him with praise.
A short while later, Jack the hare came running to the finish line, only to find the celebration of the tortoise’s victory. Jack was furious. His eyes were full of rage as he stormed up to the tortoise.
“You! You cheated! You did something...something that knocked me out!”
Bob looked offended. “What are you talking about? Why would I do something like that?”
The crowd wouldn’t hear the hare. Jack was angry and defeated. He started to walk back down the racing trail towards everyone’s homes. As he was nearing the starting line, he saw what looked like footprints. Tortoise footprints. He followed them into the woods. Once the footprints ended, he saw plastic capsules, split open, dust around them. He picked them up and looked at them, his eyes still flaming.
“I will find you Bob. I will end you.”
                                                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“Remember that Bob?” Jack continued to shout. “Remember how you ruined my life!? Racing was my life! I would’ve won that day if it weren’t for you! You drugged me!
“Jack, I didn’t-“
“Shut up! Just shut up! I know what you did, and now you’re going to pay for it!”
Bob’s eyes widened with fear as Jack stared into them with pure rage.
“Rest in pieces.”
And with that, Jack threw the rock. Bob was gone. The one who had destroyed his future, his life, was finally gone. Now people would know the true story.
JustJosh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:56 pm

Aster flopped onto his makeshift sofa he’d housed in his shelter just outside the trailer park. He’d just received word of more bills to pay. An unsightly, fiendish, cruel, sick joke was receiving bills in the mail – at least in his opinion. Aster had always grown up looking forward to letters from his father, a much-respected man in the community who’d been drafted into the Neo Hare-Badger war when he was just a young tyke. His pop would faithfully send monthly letters telling of his tales northeast, fighting for freedom against the badger kin. His mother and two siblings would sit around the fire and read the parchments expectantly whilst being warmed by the hearth on cold winter nights.
Unfortunately, the day came when his father did not write back, and although he did not know it then; Aster was forced to accept the brutal realization that his pop had died serving the home country. It had been three years since he’d last received anything good in the mail – these days all he ever got were taxes and other forms demanding payment for resources he barely even touched. What is this world coming to? Pondered Aster. Scattered all about his makeshift shelter were cheap 1’ by 2’ posters of his favorite racers from all over the world. His personal favorite was Deric Little, the Doberman from Great Scotts, more commonly referred to as the “Flying Scoberman”. Next to that poster was another well-known runner, Jerry the Fox. The lad had a touching story – he himself had been dying of a terminal illness and yet in his desperation chose to run across the great north on only three legs, in order to raise money for those not so fortunate. The names went on.
Aster always looked to his “wall of fame” each time before heading out to the racetrack. The raceway was his only stable source of income. As a rablet he’d failed his studies in both economics and cross culture relations – the two things he’d aspired to do with his life. The only thing left for him was to run; run like the wind. He wished one day to be like the great Deric Little, or Jerry the Fox – fighting for a cause and helping others in the process. Aster was a fast little bunny, and most people knew it. Today he’d be racing some guests from out of town. He knew that if he couldn’t place first in this race, he’d go even further into debt.
“Hey Aster!” shouted one of the mechanics on duty.
This brightened the sodden rabbit’s mood, as he waved joyfully back in the other’s direction.
A porcupine came out of nowhere and grabbed him by the nape only seconds later, throwing him against the back alley wall.
“I want my money, punk!” Growled the prickly beast.
“Please, just give me more time!” Pleaded the little white rabbit.
“I’ve given you five months! You know how long that is in porcupine years?”
“Please, don’t harm my mother!” Aster squealed.
“We just might. I hear you’re heading towards the raceway. You’d better hope you win, you little pest. Hoarding up other’s scraps without returning,” the porcupine spat on the ground. “You’re lucky I don’t skin you alive right here and serve you to the tiger sharks.
“Please, I’ll give you the money, I’ll win you’ll see,” whimpered Aster.
“You’d better,” snuffed the porcupine, sticking his nose high as he exited the alleyway.
Aster dashed single-mindedly towards the racetrack, realizing this race was about to be worth a lot more than clearing government debts. He knew he should’ve never dealt with those loan sharks. But he’d needed the money for his mother’s medical treatments…
Aster was surprised to find out his competition was a tortoise from the southern land of Mishury. The bloke had a perpetual frown of disgust, one Aster expected to see on a person from a place that sounded much like “misery”. Tattoed on the back of his shell was a flashy inscription that read Fast n’ Fly.
“You ‘bout ready to settle this, partner?” The tortoise asked smugly.
Aster had a sick feeling in his stomach, and went to go quench it with the water he kept on hand at the raceway.
“Contestants, find your marks!” shouted Jock the Rock over the loudspeaker – a middle aged armadillo. Aster was taken off guard briefly at the starting line when he turned to view the turtle’s footwear – Air Jordans, custom fit. Aster felt exposed in his old no name kicks.
The gunfire sounded.
They were off in a heartbeat, all bounding around the five-kilometer long track. The tortoise’s shoes quickly lit up with an air of electricity, plunging him forwards at breakneck speed. Aster knew he could never match up to his opponent’s Air Jordans, but he’d have to do it for his mother. Sprays of dirt were kicked up behind him as Aster struggled to maintain the lead of the lightning fast tortoise.
Quite suddenly Aster’s eyelids began to sink. The sudden urge to sleep came upon him like a crushing blanket, disallowing him to focus on anything else.
No…
The tortoise laughed with glee. “I see the sedative we placed in your drink is finally beginning to set in. See you at the finish line, you harebrained imbecile!”
Aster tripped, one foot in front of the other. He went tumbling forward several rounds before smashing into the bough of a large tree. Then everything went black.
All I ever wanted was for my friends and family to be happy, he pondered as his consciousness slowly slipped away.
He could hear the tiger sharks above the fray in his muddled brain.
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://kotp.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Natarsha on Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:19 am

The tortoise and the hare is a well-known tale on how the tortoise won the race against the hare (You’re seriously writing this again? Let it go move on) Go away you’re just my subconscious. What we don’t know is the true story, the hare did not fall asleep or take a nap whatever you think happened (But... That did happen you silly billy) Go away, you’re not real I don’t have to listen to you. (No you don’t so why are you?) Ugh leave me alone, voice inside my head. (As you wish) So as the tortoise told the story the hare had apparently fallen asleep well no that didn’t happen, he accidently run head first into a tree and was knocked unconscious (I did tell you to watch out for trees, they are deadly) Ugh go away! (Hey no need to shout) The hare had become unconscious but no one noticed because no one had cared about the poor little hare, when he was awoken by the loud cheers and screams of the other animals because the tortoise had won the race, the hare slumped off towards the crowd upset and flustered. He tried to explain to the crowd of mean but somewhat pleased animals what happened, “Face it Hare you fell asleep” the mean old Badger named Barry spat at the Hare “But you don’t understand Barry.. Those trees are deadly the-“The hare was interrupted by the guffawing of the animals at his remark “Trees… deadly Ha-ha” the animals rolled on the ground in laughter “Hey... Harry” the Hare turned around “Oh hey Jess” he said to the Jaguar said “I believe you, I was there I saw the whole thing” (I was there too don’t forget) of course you were you’re my subconscious (Oh yeah) “You uh you do...” Harry stumbles “Yeah I did” she smiles “I’ll see you around” the Jaguar runs off into the woods, the hare smiles and heads home.

Long story sort, the hare and the jaguar fell in love they now live in a small little cottage deep in the forest, with three children (Who might I add are adorable) and your back. The family live together peacefully and are happy.

Moral of the story: Do not, I repeat do not trust trees they are deadly. (But sometimes it’s the way of finding your true love) I was getting to that.

Full story with-out the little side notes:

The tortoise and the hare is a well-known tale on how the tortoise won the race against the hare, what we don’t know is the true story, the hare did not fall asleep or take a nap whatever you think happened, the way the tortoise told the story the hare had apparently fallen asleep well no that didn’t happen, he accidently run head first into a tree and was knocked unconscious. The hare had become unconscious but no one noticed because no one had cared about the poor little hare, when he was awoken by the loud cheers and screams of the other animals because the tortoise had won the race, the hare slumped off towards the crowd upset and flustered. He tried to explain to the crowd of mean but somewhat please animals what happened, “Face it Hare you fell asleep” the mean old Badger named Barry spat at the Hare “But you don’t understand Barry.. Those trees are deadly the-“The hare was interrupted by the guffawing of the animals at his remark “Trees… deadly Ha-ha” the animals rolled on the ground in laughter “Hey... Harry” the Hare turned around “Oh hey Jess” the Jaguar said “I believe you, I was there I saw the whole thing” You uh you do...” Harry stumbles “Yeah I did” she smiles “I’ll see you around” the Jaguar runs off into the woods, the hare smiles and heads home.

Long story sort, the hare and the jaguar fell in love they now live in a small little cottage deep in the forest, with three children the family live together peacefully and are happy.

Moral of the story: Do not, I repeat do not trust trees they are deadly.
Natarsha

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristina F on Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:26 pm

I am going to tell you about the day that I learned to stay quiet. You see, one fine summer day when the wind was warm and the brook was shimmering, I was feeling extremely brilliant about my wonderful running skills. Mr. Tortoise, Mr. Fox and a few other, slower, animals just happened to be nearby. Of course, around such primitive people I can’t help but brag,
“You’re so slow, so painful slow! You’d never beat anyone in a race!” I crowed at all the others. Mr. Tortoise then, got up real close to me and said,
“Alrighty then Mister High-n-mighty, I challenge you to a race! An’ we’ll jes’ prove who is de faster animal.” I puffed out my chest and readily agreed.
The following day, all the animals of the forest arrived to watch the two of us on our great race. Mr. Fox shouted out to the both of us,
“Are you ready? Are you set? Skeedaddle!” And off we ran. I zipped and darted and dashed across the grassy terrain. Quite soon it occurred to me that I was far ahead of Mr. Tortoise and I began to play with the butterflies in the field. The butterflies now, being on the side supporting Mr. Tortoise, played and danced with the me until he was so tired.
“Gosh-a-mighty” I exclaimed to the butterflies, “I am tired! You jes’ watch for Mr. Tortoise and wake me up when he comes a-ploddin’ along.” The very wise butterflies allowed me to fall asleep and then flew daintily over to where Mr. Tortoise was huffing and puffing. They encouraged him on, and soon he crossed the finish line. The roar of the crowd of animals awoke me with a start, I ran faster than I had ever run across the finish line. I was extremely humiliated, and therefore never went bragging about my speed again.

Kristina F

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top